Leader in Me
Empowering Students through Leadership Development
Meadow View Elementary has embarked on an exciting journey to enhance student engagement and empower young leaders through the implementation of the Leader in Me program. Since it's introduction in the fall of the 2022 school year, this transformative initiative has garnered attention and curiosity among parents, students, and educators alike. Let's explore the critical aspects of the Leader in Me program at Meadow View Elementary.
Meadow View's selection of the Leader in Me as it's student engagement program reflects their teachers' persistent-effective strategies to teach essential "soft skills" and prepare students for their educational journey. The program focuses on leadership, communication, problem-solving, and collaboration. Thus, aligns with the school's objective of nurturing academic and lifelong achievements. By embracing the seven habits, Meadow View establishes a shared language and framework, fostering intentional skill development among staff and students. Through the measurement of student engagement and leadership in their annual building goals, Meadow View ensures a comprehensive evaluation of the program's effectiveness, in line with the district's overall objectives.
These 7 Habits form the core principles of the Leader in Me program, empowering individuals to develop leadership skills and thrive in various aspects of their lives. These 7 Habits are as follows:
1. Be Proactive - encouraging individuals to take initiative and responsibility for their actions
2. Begin With The End In Mind - emphasizing the importance of setting goals and having a clear vision of desired outcomes
3. Put First Things First - prioritizing tasks and managing time effectively
4. Think Win-Win - promoting a collaborative mindset where everyone can benefit
5. Seek First to Understand, Then To Be Understood - emphasizing active listening and empathetic communication
6. Synergize - encouraging teamwork and leveraging diverse strengths for collective success
7. Sharpen The Saw - highlighting the significance of continuous self-improvement and maintaining a balanced lifestyle.
The implementation of the Leader in Me program at Meadow View Elementary has brought notable changes, including the cultivation of mentorship and collaboration. There has been increased student independence, the organization of Leadership Day, active student participation in goal setting, the creation of classroom leadership roles, and the fostering of a cohesive and supportive environment through a shared language. These changes have undoubtedly contributed to the promotion of student leadership and engagement within the school.
"The Leader in Me program has brought a fresh perspective to student engagement and leadership development. By implementing the 7 Habits and fostering a culture of empowerment, Meadow View is equipping its students with the skills necessary for success in both academics and life. Through ongoing support, investment, and the dedication of teachers and administrators, the Leader in Me program continues to shape a vibrant learning environment where every child can thrive as a leader." - Principal Cynthia Bell Jimenez