13 Reasons Why - Netflix Series
Netflix released a series "13 Reasons Why," a show based on a book with the same title, by Jay Asher. It is a fictional account of a teenage character who dies by suicide. This miniseries attempts to address many topics that can lead to important conversations with students, such as bullying, cyber-bullying, assault, rape, and suicide. We want to bring this to your attention because we have found many of our students have already watched some of the series, have heard about it, or are asking questions about it.
Here are some resources to help spark a meaningful conversation about the subject matter:
- 13- Reasons Why- Talking points for parents
- Common Sense Media: 5 Conversations to Have with Your Teens After "13 Reasons Why"
- 13- Reasons Why- Considerations for Educators
Youth Suicide Warning Signs:
- A previous suicide attempt
- Current talk of suicide or making a plan
- Strong wish to die or a preoccupation with death
- Giving away prized possessions
- Signs of depression, such as moodiness, hopelessness, withdrawal
- Increased alcohol and/or other drug use
- Hinting at not being around in the future or saying good-bye
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline created this list of youth suicide warning signs. Read it. Recognize the red flags. Know what to do.
What To Do:
- Listen and express concern in a non-judgmental way
- Trust your suspicions that your child may be in danger
- Take action! Get them connected to a professional
- Ask questions openly (“Do you have a plan to hurt yourself? Will you talk to someone who can help?”)
- Show you care; stay calm and remove all potential methods for suicide such as guns, pills, etc.
- Take all threats seriously
- Stay with your child, don’t leave them alone
You can also contact your student’s school and ask for assistance.
ADDITIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION RESOURCES
911- FOR IMMEDIATE CONCERNS
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
1-800-273-8255 (24 Hours)
Dane County- Journey Mental Health
Dane County 24-hour Crisis Line: 608-280-2600
Center for Disease Control Suicide Datasheet
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
2020 DPI Required Notice of Youth Suicide Prevention Resources