Early Childhood Special Education
The Early Childhood Department is based out of the Early Learning Resource Center at Token Springs Elementary and serves children with disabilities ages 3 through 5 who are not yet enrolled in kindergarten. Based on a child's individual needs, we provide a range of services such as speech-language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and/or specialized instruction by an Early Childhood Special Education Teacher.
Our philosophy is rooted in inclusive early childhood services, which means students with disabilities learn right alongside their typically developing peers to the greatest extent possible. Our partnerships in the community allow us to provide services in a variety of settings including daycares, preschools, and other community programs.
If you have concerns about your child, please contact us to discuss the referral and evaluation process.
Click here to see the continuum of placement options.
Early Childhood Referrals:
- Referrals are made by parents, physicians, Birth to Three, and preschool teachers or other professionals with permission from parents.
- Areas of concern may include communication, pre-academic/cognitive, motor, self-care/adaptive, and/or social skills.
- For any questions about the referral process, to sign up for a developmental screening, or to refer a child to be evaluated please contact the Early Childhood office at (608) 478-5187
Little Cardinals Community Schools Playgroup Registration 2019-2020
Little Cardinal's Community Schools Playgroup is a free playgroup for children ages 3 or 4 years old who are not yet 4K eligible. This program is a partnership with the Sun Prairie Community Schools and the Sun Prairie Area School District Early Childhood Special Education Department. Through play, we will focus on early literacy, language, music and movement activities.
We will have 2 sites available for the 2019-2020 school year!
- Our Savior's Lutheran Church on Mondays/Wednesdays from 10:00-11:30 am
- Creekside Elementary School on Mondays/Wednesdays from 1:15-2:45 pm
Dates run in conjunction with the Sun Prairie School District Calendar. We will continue to run 5 sessions throughout the year in order to provide this opportunity to all 3 and 4 year-olds in our community. The sessions will run as follows:
Session 1: September 9th - October 25th
Session 2: October 28th - December 20th
Session 3: January 6th - February 28th
Session 4: March 2nd - April 24th
Session 5: April 27th - June 11th