- WHAT DOES A SCHOOL COUNSELOR DO?
- HOW DO I TALK TO THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR?
- THE AMERICAN SCHOOL COUNSELOR ASSOCIATION
What does a School Counselor Do?
- School counselors work with students by providing classroom lessons, meeting in small groups, and interacting individually with students.
- Topics include social and emotional awareness and growth, peer interaction skills, harassment and discrimination awareness, career exploration.
- Small groups are formed as needed and might include topics such as social skills, anxiety, depression, family change, grief, anger management, study skills, etc.
- School counselors help to provide prevention and intervention activities, assist with restorative justice measures, and help track student's academic growth by monitoring behavior and attendance.
- School counselors help students establish personal goals and develop future plans.
- School counselors communicate with parents, teachers, administrators, and community members, and provide referrals to community organizations for additional assistance.
- The Role of the School Counselor (as established by the American School Counselor Association)
- School Counselor Performance Standards (as determined by the American School Counselor Association)
If you would like to make an appointment with your counselor, please stop by the Student Services office and schedule a time before or after school or during study hall. Lunch hour appointments are also available if necessary. If a student need is more urgent, please request a pass from your teacher to the Student Services office.
Si un estudiante, padre ó guardian prefiere tener esta información traducida en Español, por favor contactenos en el 608.834.6620
Yog tus me nyuam lub xiv los yog niam thiab txiv/tus neeg muaj cai saib xyuas tus me nyuam xav tau qhov ntawv ntawm no ua lus Hmoob, thov hais rau peb paub rau ntawm 608.834.6630