The Academic and Career Plan (ACP) was implemented statewide for the 2017-18 school year for students in grades 6-12.
What is ACP? The Academic and Career Planning, or ACP, is a student-driven, adult-supported process in which students create and cultivate their own unique and information-based visions for post secondary success, obtained through self-exploration, career exploration, and the development of career management and planning skills. (Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction)
What does it mean to be College and Career Ready?
● Students understand their unique strengths and interest that align to a wide variety of future opportunities.
● Students have an integral part in the creation of a personal plan for goal attainment that provides flexibility based on individual preferences and experiences.
● Students will be exposed to different problem solving processes that apply to innovate, invent, design and build products and systems in different types of environments and industries.
● Students will be able to direct both the world of higher education and employment to support a transition to post-secondary options.
● Students will develop knowledge, dispositions and skills that will assist them in their future planning and readiness for post-secondary options.
How is ACP Implemented? Students will use the Career Cruising portal to assist them in gathering and creating their own unique vision for their post-secondary success. Career Cruising is a comprehensive online program, accessed by students to help them make informed decisions about colleges, scholarships and careers. School counselors, parents and students work collaboratively with the Career Cruising program by connecting learning to their Academic and Career Plans. Students will have opportunities to work in a variety of environments including small group, individual and whole class scenarios that will assist them in the creation of artifacts for their individual Career Cruising portfolio.
The ACP is an ongoing process where students practice goal setting to develop an ACP plan. This plan will be revised with guidance from adult mentors over time. At each grade level, students will complete activities similar to those listed below. Student goals and plans are expected to change annually based on their own personal experiences.
Why is the ACP process beneficial?
The Mission of the Sun Prairie Area School District is to Inspire and Prepare Every Child, Every Day, by providing Relevant, Engaging and Innovative Learning Experiences in and out of the classroom.
The ACP process will assist all students by empowering them with the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve academic, personal, social and career knowledge and graduate ready for success.